Making peroxide mouthwash at home is something you definitely want to learn about. If not for the fact that it kills bacteria in the mouth, then for the fact that it can fight off infections and have your mouth smelling fresh too.
Yes, you can find peroxide in pharmacies, but it’s always a good idea to know how to make things yourself so you know exactly what you are putting in and on your body.
However, you need to be careful about what you use and how you use it. To find out more about how you can make it yourself, and how to use it safely, you need to read on.
Ingredients to Make Peroxide Mouthwash
For starters, you need two ingredients to ensure you have the mouthwash right and they are water and hydrogen peroxide.
Creating hydrogen peroxide isn’t something that you can easily do as most of the ingredients used for the same are not easy to come by.
In fact, in many countries, it is illegal to have a highly concentrated form of hydrogen peroxide in your possession.
The allowed concentration of hydrogen peroxide that you can have is 70% and under. And since the same is used to create rocket fuel and is quite explosive, having a high concentration may mean you want to make a bomb.
Back to the mouth wash, you want to get yourself a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution. And this is enough to make your own mouthwash at home. Here’s how to make your wash
First, you need 2 parts water and 1 part peroxide, for example, you can use 2 glasses of water for every 1 glass of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Ensure that it is 3% because a higher concentration will cause irritation.
How to Use Properly
Now, there are some serious risks if you don’t use the mouthwash properly so you should use the following directions to use it correctly.
- Swish the mixture all around your mouth, it should touch every bit of your mouth for the best results.
- You now need to tilt your head back and continue to gargle for around 30 seconds, touching every base of your mouth.
- Now, spit the solution out of your mouth and make sure you don’t get any drops in your eyes.
- You can use the solution the same way a few times a week – this ensures that you don’t have irritation in your mouth.
- You will notice foam in your mouth while you gargle the solution, this is quite normal and it shouldn’t scare you one bit.
Benefits of Peroxide Mouthwash
- Treat gum disease – gum diseases are majorly due to bacterial infections and since peroxide has some antibacterial properties it should help with that.
- Ease sore throat
- Clear mouth sores – this solution can only clear minor sores, for the major ones you should see a doctor.
- Whiten teeth
- Do away with bad mouth odor – since a number of infections will be done with, you will also have fresh breath.
How to Keep Safe
Do not do the following and you will be fine.
- Avoid splashing the solution on your face when you spit it out as it can irritate the eyes
- Do not swallow the solution as it can cause stomach upsets and vomiting in some cases
- Don’t use food-grade peroxide as it contains 35% concentration and that can lead to serious gastrointestinal issues.
- Avoid inhaling peroxide as it can cause irritation to the lungs
- Children shouldn’t be allowed to gargle the solution as they have a higher risk of swallowing it.
When it comes to your mouth, you need the best solution that you can find to help kill germs. Now you’ve got a way to create a DIY mouthwash that’s going to keep your mouth shiny and new.