I love different smells. And I also love wearing different perfumes. Sometimes it is hard to find the exact fragrance I am looking for on the market.Also, commercial perfumes tend to have some chemicals that I don’t want to apply on my skin. More importantly, I love making DIY cosmetic products.Not only perfumes but every other thing you can think of. Like toners, make-up products, cleansers, face masks, toothpaste and many others. And I will make alcohol free DIY essential oil perfume as well.
There are different recipes to make your own perfume. Most of them have alcohol. In this recipe, I decided to try something new. I will not use alcohol.
Instead of this ingredients, I will try grapeseed oil as carrier. Also, you can use distilled water instead of grapeseed oil. But if you want more permanent perfume, grapeseed oil is a better option. Let’s see how we can make our own perfume.
But before looking at all the ingredients and how to make your DIY essential oil perfume, we need to learn the tips to make this perfume.
These tips will greatly help you. When you follow all the instructions, you can easily make a permanent DIY essential oil perfume. And all the ingredients are natural and healthy. So, you no longer need to worry about what is in the presume you are using.
Tips for Making Your Own Essential Oil Perfume
There are some important tips you need to follow. Making your own essential oil perfume is fun but it is also hard. If you miss just one step, you may end up with fragrances that do not match. Or the result may be totally different than what you are expecting.
First and most importantly, you need to select your notes of the perfume. Each perfume consists of three notes. There are base note, middle note, and top note.
The top note will be the first thing you smell. Middle and base note will be visible after certain time. Your base note will be the most permanent one. So, when selecting your fragrances for these notes, you need to be careful about their harmony.
Also, it is important to formulate your own perfume. If you don’t write down your formula, you may forget what you were preparing. And next time you are making the same recipe, you may need to start from the beginning. Just take a pen and paper and note all the ingredients and amounts of those ingredients.
There is one thing you need to consider when you are using distilled water as a carrier. Compared to grapeseed oil or jojoba oil, you can store this DIY essential oil perfume shorter if you use distilled water as carrier.
You need to consume the perfume within 1 or 2 weeks. But if you use one of the oils as carrier, you can store the perfume for 1 or 2 months.
Essential Oil Perfume Ingredients
- 30 ml grapeseed oil – you can use distilled water instead of this ingredient
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil*
- 15 drops of rose essential oil**
- 9 drops of rose geranium essential oil***
* Lavender essential oil will be the base note of your homemade perfume.
** Rose essential oil will be the middle note of your homemade perfume.
*** Rose geranium essential oil will be the top note of your perfume.
**** You need to follow, 20% base note, 50% middle note, and 30% top note ratio when you are making your own perfume.
How to Make Alcohol Free Essential Oil Perfume
- Add essential oil to your clean spray bottle. You need to start with the base note. Also, you need to add each one of these essential oils drop by drop. This way, you can have the full control over your recipe.
- Combine all these ingredients by shaking the bottle. You need to smell the perfume and decide if you need to add more essential oil. For this purpose, always use scent sticks. Directly smelling from the bottle will always give you a wrong fragrance.
- After combining all ingredients, you need to store this essential oil perfume in a cool and dark place for 2 or 3 days. This step is necessary for all the ingredients to blend in. There are some recipes that recommend waiting for up to 6 weeks.
- Then, after 2 or 3 days, you essential oil perfume is ready.
Since we are not using alcohol for our base, there is no need to wait for 6 weeks. Generally, recipes that use alcohol as a base are waiting for a long time.
There is a simple reason for that. Alcohol needs to absorb the essential oils and it may take a bit time. Also, in most of the recipes with alcohol, instead of essential oil, flower petals are used. Naturally, it takes longer for flower petals to give their fragrance to alcohol.
In tis recipe, I used essential oils for an easier application. This way, I can make my essential oil perfume in just couple of days. And I don’t need to worry about stirring the ingredients once in every 2 or 3 days.